The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday it will not file a lawsuit against Armie Hammer and is ending an “extremely thorough” investigation that began in 2021.
“Sexual assault cases are often difficult to prove, so we’re commissioning our most experienced prosecutors to investigate,” a spokesperson for the district attorney’s office said in a statement first reported by. Variation.
“In this case, these prosecutors did a very thorough investigation,” he continued, “but decided that there was not enough evidence at this time to charge Mr. Hammer with a crime.”
The spokesperson said investigators felt they were unable to substantiate the assault allegations beyond a reasonable doubt, citing the “complexity of the relationship” between Hammer and his accuser as a reason.
Hammer’s accuser reported him to the Los Angeles Police Department in February 2021, claiming he physically abused her during a spasmodic four-year relationship and raped her in 2017.
“I thought it was going to kill me,” woman Effie Angelova said at a press conference in March 2021.
Hours earlier on Wednesday, Angelova took to social media to announce it was her birthday. On her Instagram Story, she wrote about her expectations for the day and how it actually went.
“Anticipation: Ponies! Balloons! A new page in life!” Wrote. “How it actually goes: law enforcement officers who spoke to lawyers about the horrific abuse that happened to me in the past weeks were invited to speak at a university.”
“No ponies, lots of fun balloons. What I want to do most: sleep. I just want to sleep.”
Angelova’s police report comes after Angelova publicly but anonymously accused her of misconduct on Instagram. Later, several other women came forward with similar claims. The actor was quickly demoted by his agents and left a number of projects he had listed, including a Broadway play, several movies, and a streaming series based on his production. Godfather.
Hammer has repeatedly denied the allegations, including in a notorious profile posted by Air Mail earlier this year.
The 36-year-old actress admitted that she treated Angelova and her other accusers like “scumbags” and that the “power dynamics were off” in their relationship.
According to Hammer, saying that she was emotionally abusive was “a million percent” true, but she insisted that every encounter she had was consensual.
Everything has been discussed beforehand,” he said. “I never unexpectedly imposed this on anyone. Never.”
In a statement posted on Instagram Wednesday, Hammer said, “I am very grateful to the District Attorney for conducting a thorough investigation and concluding that no crimes have been committed all this time. Now that my name is cleared, I look forward to embarking on the long and arduous process of getting my life back in order. ”
“I want to say a very special thank you to everyone who has helped me get through this time,” he added. “Forward and upward.”
This is a developing story and will be updated.